Rappahannock Goodwill Industries
CEO Job Posting
Are you a business leader with a proven track record who has a heart for helping people? Do you believe in the power of work and that people can overcome barriers to employment? If so, this could be an exciting and fulfilling opportunity for you. Read on!
Since 1966, Rappahannock Goodwill Industries (RGI) has believed in the power of work to change lives. In today’s society, to have a job, do it well, and reap the benefits is one of the most important ways a person can live with dignity. RGI helps people in Fredericksburg, Virginia and twelve surrounding counties by creating jobs locally, preparing people to succeed at work, and helping them overcome barriers to employment.
In 2018, RGI helped nearly 9,500 individuals move towards employment and placed 1,450 in jobs. Through April 2019, RGI had assisted over 3,900 individuals and placed more than 400 in jobs. Individuals with barriers to employment have access to training and jobs within RGI and help in transitioning to jobs in the community. RGI is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF).
RGI supports its mission through a combination of grants and social enterprises, including its well-known thrift stores, federal janitorial contracts, a ServiceMaster Clean commercial janitorial franchise, a staffing company, and commercial laundry. The Fredericksburg area economy is supported by many governmental agencies as well as privately-held businesses and is one of the fastest growing areas in Virginia.
Priorities for the next CEO include:
· Assessing RGI’s territory and its current operations to build profitable social enterprises to support RGI’s mission.
· Raising the profile of RGI in its territory to encourage businesses to become partners in supporting the mission.
· Re-evaluating federal contract operations as a basis for funding RGI’s mission at acceptable market levels.
· Strengthening RGI’s relationship with AbilityOne, SourceAmerica and other federal and commercial sources for revenue.
· Looking forward to developing new income-generating / mission-based social enterprises.
· Supporting a culture of accountability and success.
· Advocating to create work opportunities for people with disabilities and other barriers to work.
Experience and attributes of qualified candidates include:
· Demonstrated experience in successful businesses or business profit centers with P&L responsibility.
· Leadership in one or more complex business environments.
· Outward-facing roles in a business community.
· Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
· Financial acumen to navigate a changing business environment.
· The ability to balance mission-related and profit-driven enterprise decisions.
· A desire to help people with barriers to work navigate the path to successful employment.
· An understanding of the key elements of workforce development programs.
· Experience with nonprofit boards either by working with or serving on one or more boards.
· A bachelor’s degree. An MBA or equivalent experience desired.
· A minimum of 15 years of work experience, with at least 10 years in leadership roles.
The next CEO’s core values will align with RGI’s values of:
Respect – Treat all people with dignity and respect.
Stewardship – Be socially, financially, and environmentally responsible.
Ethics – Strive to meet the highest ethical standards.
Learning – Strive for excellence, continue to learn and improve personally and organizationally.
disAbilityFirst – We focus on people with disabilities first.
Fredericksburg, VA is located 40 miles south of Washington, DC and 50 miles north of Richmond, VA. In addition to the City of Fredericksburg, RGI’s geographic territory includes towns and rural areas.
To apply for this position, please send a resume, cover letter and five references to:
HR@WarrenWhitney.com with “RGI CEO” in the subject line.
Please note that references will not be contacted without prior discussion with the candidate. We understand that confidentiality is of utmost importance. The consultant and the search committee will do everything possible to maintain that confidentiality until the final round of interviews.
For best consideration, please respond by July 31, 2019.
Equal Opportunity Employer